Section 8 Housing Grants

Section 8 Housing Grants

Section 8 Housing Grants

Section 8 housing grants assist a disadvantaged person manage housing. Section 8 grants are federal housing vouchers that pay a portion of a recipient’s monthly rent expenses and don’t need to be paid back. Housing vouchers are processed and paid with local public housing agencies (PHA) which are overseen by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants for Section 8 vouchers have to be disabled, age 62 or older, or have other members in the household, such as kids, that constitute a household, based on HUD rules. Applicants should be U.S. citizens or have legal immigration status. The entire income of the household may not exceed 50 percent of the median income from the leasing area. The PHA requires documentation of income and family size from many applicants.

Housing Choices

All housing in Section 8 needs to satisfy with the health and safety standards used by the PHA. The applicant may decide on any leasing residence that meets all the qualifications for the housing voucher program, says HUD. Acceptable residence types incorporate single-family houses, townhouses and flats. The applicant is responsible for locating a rental property owned by a landlord that will accept Section 8 payments. Landlords are not required by law to take housing grants. The applicant may apply for Section 8 assistance for his existing residence in the event the landlord agrees to the agreement. The PHA can decide to permit a renter to utilize vouchers toward the purchase of a small home.

Voucher System

The total of the voucher is dependent on the applicant’s information and also the standard rent amounts the PHA uses for the area of the rental housing, or the payment criteria. The voucher will not pay the whole amount of the rent. The typical maximum amount to get a Section 8 award is that the payment standard minus 30 percent of their household’s adjusted gross income, or the money left over from wages after payroll taxes are subtracted. The receiver is responsible for paying the landlord the difference between the monthly rent and the voucher number, based on HUD rules. The PHA pays the voucher directly to the landlord, as per Section 982.514 of the U.S. Code.

Transferring Grants

A receiver of Section 8 vouchers that moves to a different residence can continue to receive the grant if the PHA is informed ahead of time and the new residence meets the voucher standards. A new grant recipient can select a dwelling anywhere in the U.S. as long as she was living in the jurisdiction of the issuing PHA when she applied. An applicant who is receiving a Section 8 award for the first time but failed to reside in the jurisdiction of the issuing PHA in the time of the program has to dwell in that PHA’s area the first 12 months she receives voucher payments.

See related